The Generac GP2200i generator offers a compact solution for outdoor festival enthusiasts and is today one of the best generators on the market. This portable inverter generator offers the much-needed, safe power output without generating unbearable noises that sometimes can be extremely disturbing for the surrounding environment. Is it the right choice? Is it worth to buy? We will find out in the following review.
The Generac GP2200i is one of few inverter generators designed and produced by Generac Power System Inc., a recognized portable generator manufacturer based in Wisconsin. Generac inverter generators have long been the well-acclaimed choices for many customers who opt for compact units specifically designed for outdoor purposes or standby power backup at home.
Generac GP2200i Inverter Generator at a Glance
The Generac GP2200i is advertised as a compact and lightweight inverter generator, especially useful for outdoor activities such as power backup for home appliances. In the following sections, you will learn about its outlets, power characteristics, additional features, and pollution compliance information.
The Generac GP2200i comes with 2 AC of Duplex 120 volt 20A outlets. It also comes with 2 DC outlets, which consists of a 5 volt USB port that can be used to charge mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets, and a 12-volt receptacle to make charging batteries much more convenient. For power and run time, Generac uses a 4-stroke Generac OHV 8 cc engine to power their portable inverter generator, including the Generac GP2200i. This compact unit uses gasoline as fuel and supplies 120V.
The GP2200i has a 1700 watts operating wattage with a peak power output of 2200 watts. Since it’s a parallel capable (the parallel kit is sold separately), its power can be increased when connected to another compatible unit. This inverter generator can be started by pulling the regular pull-start method. The long run time of the GP2200i is one of the best things that everyone will like, as it can run for more than 8 hours even at half load. With a full tank, this portable generator can run up to 10 hours due to its 1.2-gallon fuel capacity.
Another aspect that makes the GP2200i can run a bit longer than the other products in its class are the Eco mode. This mode helps the unit to minimize gasoline consumption and optimize its motor functions. Important to note, the Eco mode won’t be able to be used for items that have higher loads, such as air conditioner in 13,000 BTU. For portability, Generac GP2200i is a portable inverter generator that has an enclosed design with the following dimensions: 19.7 x 11.4 x 17.9 inches. That is why the GP2200i is more of an aesthetically designed generator rather than a standard open frame unit. Its design follows the current trends and is suitable for recreational and simple usage.
As mentioned in the advertisement, GP2200i is a lightweight inverter generator as it only has 46.6 pounds of weight. This unit can be moved easily only by one person without exerting too much effort. In addition to that, the power of this generator can be used on-the-go. It also comes with a handle that allows the user to lift it up easily, which elevates its convenience.
- Light indicators – Generac installs several light indicators to their GP2200i generator to allow the user to immediately see if the unit is overloaded, the fuel is insufficient, and if it’s ready to operate. This inverter generator also features an automatic shutdown if the unit is on low oil and a circuit breaker, which acts as overload protection.
- Enclosed design – Thanks to the design, Generac GP2200i is able to reduce uncontrollable noises. Everyone can continue their conversation without being bothered by the generator turbulence. Therefore, it’s an ideal portable generator for outdoor activities such as camping and hunting, where minimal noises are desired.
- The start dial – This is another convenient feature for the Generac GP2200i. This knob has three different modes—Run, Stop, and Choke. These features make it easy for a new user to operate and control all the functions of this portable inverter generator.
- Truepower Technology – Generac also applies the Truepower Technology to their GP2200i power generator. This technology is able to supply clean power with no voltage fluctuations that make it perfect to power some sensitive devices and home appliances such as computers, mobile phones, or tablets.
- Pollution Compliance – The GP2200i is a CARB-compliant portable inverter generator. That is why this unit is widely available and can be purchased in all the states, California included. In addition, this unit comes with a spark arrester, which eliminates the emission from fuel burning, making it convenient in wooded areas.
Pros and Cons
Before you pull the trigger, here is the list of the pros and cons of using the Generac GP2200i in the following sections.
- It is lightweight
- It has compact design
- It works quieter
- It is designed in fuel-efficient
- Parallel capable
- It has long run time
- It is offered in reasonable cost
- Additional accessories are included
- It has inadequate to power larger items or to back up all the home appliances at the same time
- ECO mode doesn’t work on items with higher loads
- There is no electric start and data center
In comparison to the other generators with 1500 to 2500 W, the GP2200i is on the average side of the price scale which is around $650. Therefore, this portable generator is a good fit in the planned cost for this type of unit.
If you are looking for an affordable portable inverter generator for outdoor activities like camping or hunting, and standby power backup to power some home appliances when there is shutdown, then you can highly consider the GP2200i manufactured by Generac.
Even though it’s inadequate to power some larger items or to back up a whole house, in terms of build quality and run time, the Generac GP2200i is nonetheless the best portable inverter generator in its class for recreational and casual use.